Online MS in Hospitality and Tourism Management for California Professionals
Download a FREE Program Brochure
Complete the form to download a program brochure and an admissions representative will contact you shortly.
Gain Expertise for Hospitality Management Careers in California
Hospitality employment was the engine behind California’s job growth in December 2021, adding more jobs than any other sector.1 Now, you can prepare for in-demand hospitality management roles with Purdue University’s online Master of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM) program. Our expert faculty can help you gain the leadership and analytical talents needed to succeed in California’s competitive hospitality industry.
With Purdue’s online HTM program, professionals in California can:
- Lead organizations in California and beyond by acquiring hospitality management and leadership competencies.
- Acquire cutting-edge human resources, operations management, marketing and finance skills.
- Earn a hospitality and tourism management degree 100% online and prepare to stand out in California’s competitive hospitality industry.
- Drive business decisions through quantitative and data analysis, developing marketable talents for hospitality and tourism management careers.
- Learn from leading hospitality management researchers, gaining real-world experience while completing the HTM program online.
- Delve into advanced critical thinking and problem-solving techniques to address California’s hospitality and tourism management challenges.
Qualify for Hospitality Management Positions Throughout California
The hospitality and leisure sector has been essential to California’s economic recovery. For instance, this sector accounted for nearly 30% of California’s job gains in December 2021.1 With Purdue’s online MS in Hospitality and Tourism Management degree, you can prepare for hospitality management roles at the heart of California’s robust tourism industry. Get ready to oversee a full-service hotel, manage a prestigious restaurant or move to the corporate side of hospitality and tourism management.
5 Hospitality Management Jobs in California
- Hotel Manager ($127,372)2
- Resort General Manager ($103,120)3
- Winery Manager ($68,755)4
- Director of Catering ($66,795)5
- Restaurant Manager ($63,442)6
Expert Faculty Support Your Success in Hospitality Management
Purdue’s award-winning faculty can help you reach your career potential as you seek your MS in Hospitality and Tourism Management degree online. With their guidance, you can build impressive hospitality management knowledge and further your professional and personal growth. As a result, you can prepare for rewarding roles across California’s growing tourism industry.
Purdue’s faculty focuses on the latest practices relevant to hospitality and tourism management in the U.S. and California. As a result, you can develop your leadership style specifically for the HTM industry, a niche market with unique values and challenges. While seeking your degree online, you’ll learn information literacy and research methods that support organizational health and growth. You’ll also gain finance, marketing and human resources skills to stand out as a job candidate.
While seeking your MS in Hospitality and Tourism Management degree online, our faculty will strive to equip you with skills for achieving excellence in hospitality management. Join the next generation of leaders advancing the professional standards of this industry in California, nationwide and abroad.
A Curriculum That Aligns with Hospitality Management Careers in California
Purdue’s online MS in Hospitality and Tourism Management degree features an experiential, project-oriented curriculum. Gain valuable experience that applies to your current position and other roles available in California.
The online HTM program emphasizes the business side of hospitality management. Our expert faculty will teach you to use statistics and strategic thinking to address challenges at an advanced level.
The curriculum is tailored for HTM managers with five years of professional experience and at least three years of management experience. As such, you can prepare for the next phase of your career by learning among other experienced professionals.
The online master’s degree in hospitality and tourism management is comprised of 34 credits and is expected to take 24 months.
|Course Number||Course Name||Credit Hours|
|HTM 51200||Leadership in Hospitality and Tourism||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 57100||Economics of Travel and Tourism||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 50300||Business Statistics and Quantitative Analysis||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 54100||Advanced Hospitality Accounting and Finance Systems||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 53600||Advanced Service Management for Hospitality and Tourism||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 64200||Advanced Personnel Systems in Restaurants, Hotels and Institutions||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 51100||Hospitality Business Law and Risk Management||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 54200||Strategic Revenue Management in the Hospitality Industry||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 53100||Hospitality and Tourism Marketing 2||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 61200||Management Challenge Analysis||(3 credit hours)|
|HTM 59500||Advanced Management Project||(4 credit hours)|
Please note: The course order for the online master’s in hospitality and tourism management degree is subject to change.
The Capstone Project
For graduation, you’ll complete a capstone project (HTM 595: Applied Management Project) based on a real-world HTM issue. In it, you’ll develop a project scope that may incorporate management, marketing, human resources and financial recommendations to address the issues presented.
5 California Regions That Offer Hospitality Management Jobs
As of 2020, California was the No. 1 tourist destination in America.7 The reason is clear when you consider the natural beauty and numerous attractions California offers. Here are five destinations that many visitors to California rate the highest.8 Keep this list in mind as you consider areas where employers may hire professionals with hospitality and tourism management degrees:
- The Golden Gate Bridge (San Francisco, California)
- Yosemite National Park (Sierra Nevada mountains)
- Disneyland (Anaheim, California)
- Death Valley National Park (eastern California)
- Big Sur (Monterey and San Luis Obispo Counties, California)
5 Large Hospitality and Tourism Employers in California
Hospitality employment was the engine behind California’s job growth In addition to opportunities in leading companies like Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt, living in California provides opportunities to work for some of the world’s most recognized hospitality and tourism brands. Here are five of California’s most well-known employers in this industry.9
- The Walt Disney Company (HQ: Burbank, California)
- Hillstone Restaurant Group (HQ: Beverly Hills, California)
- sbe Entertainment Group (HQ: Los Angeles, California)
- Pebble Beach Resorts (HQ: Pebble Beach, California)
- Crimson Wine Group (HQ: Napa, California)
Number of hospitality and leisure jobs that California gained in December 20211
Average hotel manager salary in California2
California received more visitors than any other state in 20207
Reasons to Seek Your Degree Online With Purdue
Purdue’s MS in Hospitality and Tourism Management degree supports the success of California’s next generation of hospitality management professionals — 100% online. Our outcomes are reflected in our top-level rankings, which include:
#8 Most Innovative
School in the U.S. — U.S. News & World Report 2022
#9 Top Public
University in the U.S. — The Wall Street Journal/
Times Higher Education 2021
#7 Best Value School in U.S. —
The Wall Street Journal/
Times Higher Education 2020
- U.S. News & World Report, “California Jobless Rate Dips Half-Percentage Point to 6.5%,” January 2022, on the Internet at https://www.usnews.com.
- Salary.com, “Hotel Manager Salary in California,” February 2022, on the Internet at https://www.salary.com.
- Salary.com, “Resort General Manager Salary in California,” February 2022, on the Internet at https://www.salary.com.
- Salary.com, “Winery Manager Salary in California,” February 2022, on the Internet at https://www.salary.com.
- ZipRecruiter, “Director of Catering Salary in California,” March 2022, on the Internet at https://www.ziprecruiter.com.
- Salary.com, “Restaurant Manager Salary in California,” February 2022, on the Internet at https://www.salary.com.
- Vivid Maps, “The Most Visited States In The United States,” September 2020, on the Internet at https://vividmaps.com.
- Planet Ware, “14 Top-Rated Tourist Attractions in California,” May 2021, on the Internet at https://www.planetware.com.
- Zippia, “The 100 Largest Companies in California for 2022,” June 2021, on the Internet at https://www.zippia.com.